Q:Can I use a foreign licence to take compulsory basic training?
A:No. You must either obtain a UK provisional, or, if you hold an EU licence, obtain a UK counterpart licence.

Q:What is the minimum age to ride a moped?
A:The minimum age to ride a moped is 16.

Q:What is the minimum age to ride a motorcycle?
A:The minimum age to ride a motorcycle is 17.

Q:What is compulsory basic training (CBT)?
A:CBT is a course of basic motorcycle training which must be completed before a learner moped or motorcycle rider is allowed to ride unaccompanied on the road with L-plates.

Q:What does compulsory basic training (CBT) involve?
A:The course involves five elements:

(1) introduction
(2) practical on-site training
(3) practical on-site riding
(4) practical on-road training
(5) practical on-road riding (you will go out on the road for a period of not less than two hours in radio contact with your instructor)

The five elements have to be completed in sequence, although the order of the exercises within the element can be varied. You will only move on to the next element when your instructor is satisfied you have learnt the necessary theory and demonstrated the practical skills to a safe basic level.

Q:Can I start riding lessons with an instructor before passing my theory test?
A:Yes. We recommend you take practical lessons while preparing for your theory test. The combination of practical experience with theoretical learning should help you perform better at the theory test.

Q:What is direct access?
A:Direct access is a course over 4 or 5 days with tests on the last day which allows a person to complete in a week.  There are three categories A, A1 and A2.

Q:Do all learner moped and motorcycle riders have to complete CBT?
A:If you passed a car test before 1 February 2001 you do not need to complete CBT to ride a moped, but you do have to take a CBT to ride a motorcycle. However, if you passed your car test after 1 February 2001 and you wish to ride a moped or motorcycle you will need to complete CBT.

Q:What happens at the end of the CBT course?
A:When all five of elements have been satisfactorily completed, a certificate of completion (DL196) is issued.

Q:How long is the CBT certificate valid for?
A:Certificates issued since 1 February 2001 are valid for two years. However, if you passed a car test on or after 1 February 2001 you will receive moped entitlement on your licence but will need to hold a valid CBT certificate on the date you passed your test or subsequently take CBT. In this instance your moped entitlement will be validated for your driving career.

Q:I want to take a motorcycle test and I already hold a full car licence. Do I need to take a theory test?
A:Yes. Your car licence does not exempt you from taking the motorcycle theory test.

Q:I just want to do my CBT Motorcycle Training. Do I need to take a theory test?
A: NO a theory test is only required when taking the full Motorcycle Test.

Q:What will my Test Examiner want from me?
A:Your examiner will want you to drive safely and competently in various road and traffic conditions. The examiner will give you clear directions in good time, and will ask you to carry out set exercises.


Motorcycle Training Warrington From CBT to DAS